This is not a comprehensive list of everything but it is of some of the must do’s to get yourself up and running:
1. Get an ABN, it’s easy to do and if you do it yourself, it’s free: https://abr.gov.au/For-Business,-Super-funds---Charities/
2. Register your business name, this costs around $33 for one year: http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/ASIC.NSF/byHeadline/Registering%20a%20business%20name
3. Do your business plan – painful(?) but necessary. In all honesty, it’s not that painful but gives you the opportunity to get everything down on paper (so to speak). There is a great app called ‘MyBizPlan’, another freebie. You will find it and other great resources on the website: www.business.gov.au. Once you’ve done your plan, don’t file it! This should be a living document, something that changes as you and your business changes.
4. Get your website happening! Whether you want to invest in someone to do this for you or do it yourself is up to you. There are a lot of free resources out there in cyberspace, so if you are up to it – try it yourself!
5. Get your stationery sorted – especially business cards. Make sure that if you meet people, they have something of you to take with them.
6. Pricing – you need to be very clear in your mind how you are going to price your product or service. I’ve read so many different opinions on this, it’s not funny and I’m sure I will have a few future posts about it because I would like to get your opinions.
7. Social Media – you might cringe at this idea but seriously, if you haven’t already you need to jump on board! Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest … choose at least 2 and set up your business page.
8. Research! What are your competitors doing in the market? How are they getting customers? How are they pricing? What resources, like software, books, 3rd party providers are they using?
Don’t forget that running your own business takes a lot of work and as much as you think you will be living the dream, there are going to be quite a number of times where you will ask yourself, ‘why did I do this?’. You will fail at a few things but it only matters how you learn from these fails and how you come back from them. For all the fails, there will be so many more accomplishments – give it a go.
Get empowered and bring your dream to life!